Travel India: 10 Travel Tips For Lakshadweep, #2 is a MUST
Image courtesy: Murali Manohar.
Lakshadweep — the name itself means ‘a hundred thousand islands’. Some big, some small, same far, some near. Some inhabited and some not. Located off the coast of Kerala, Lakshadweep islands are bestowed with miles of heavenly sun-kissed beaches devoid of the crowds, magnificent lagoon, and turquoise blue water brimming with colorful aquatic life. Each and every island here is blessed with picturesque landscape to make you want to whip out your pen and paper and get creative. The islands are beautiful inside out and the beauty is unparalleled.
With its laid back vibe, the islands of Lakshadweep offers a multitude of experiences for any traveler; all of which are bound to create lasting impressions.
But vacationing at this beautiful Indian island is not that easy, tempting tourists all over the region remains elusive and out of reach of many travelers, owing to the huge formalities that are needed to be duly complied with before you can set foot on these magical island. Hence to make things little simpler for tourists here is a simple compilation of few Lakshadweep travel tips.
1. The Budget
Lakshadweep is not a budget friendly holiday destination. Although the facilities offered are not much but we guess every good thing in life comes at a price, similarly the natural beauty and the peaceful surroundings of the region are just something money can’t buy.
- The number of ATM store is quite low here.
2. The Restrictions
Due permissions from authorities are required without which no tourists, Indian or others are allowed to set foot on the Islands, in fact foreigners are further given only restricted entry limited only to few islands of the region.
- The permission papers are must to show here.
3. Advanced Booking
Having advance booking in a Lakshadweep hotel is an essential requisite to get the due permissions of authorities for entering the island. Lakshadweep enjoys a tropical climate with the temperature rarely moving above 28 degree Celsius and hence light cotton clothing should be carried.
- The region is not overtly commercialized and as such there is no such emergency medical services in the region, so do carry your essential medication and some first aid with you.
Lakshadweep is a land of beaches and corals. You can find long stretches of white and shining sands that will beckon you to have a sun bath. The enchanting beaches have a lot to offer for those who come here to relax and enjoy the sunset. It is a great place to be when you want to stay away from the crowd. The idle lagoons are great for spending time, watching the birds and the palms sway to the tune of the wind. The emerald green water is welcoming and a good swim in these waters is rejuvenating.
- Water sports are another reason why you should be at the beach. Besides, take a look at those attractive corals that are lying all over the island. These attractive and colourful corals make the place distinctive.
5. Cruise Journey
Lakshadweep cruise is becoming quite popular these days. The cruises have luxurious amenities which makes the journey a wonderful and pleasurable trip. Before 1962, there wasn’t any ship connecting to the islands and the mainland.
- The weather in Lakshadweep remains pleasant throughout the year but the best time to visit the place is between October and April. The temperature doesn’t usually exceed 30 degrees.
6. Food Delicacies
Most of the food cooked in Lakshadweep takes inspiration from south Indian cuisine. Foods like Appam, Dosa, Idli are generally preferred for breakfast. Cabbage, Peera, Olan, Parippu curry, PlaintainIdimas are preferred food options for the lunch.
- Because of the island being ruled by Muslim rulers in its history one can also spot non-vegetarian delicacies like Kozhi Masala, IrachiVaruthathu and Chicken Curry among others.
7. How to reach
Lakshadweep is a group of small islands located around two to four hundred kilometer from the south-western coast of India. These islands are the smallest union territory of India and are separated from the Indian mainland by the Arabian Sea.
The islands are not very easily accessible, but the picturesque archipelago is a compelling destination.
- If you ever wondered how to reach Lakshadweep, don’t worry the islands are connected with the mainland either by air or sea. Tourists visiting Lakshadweep islands need to obtain a permit to enter the islands.
Lakshadweep is not exactly a shopping destination. People visit the island not as much for shopping, as they do for spending an unhurried leisure time and for scuba diving which is a popular water sport. If you are still keen on shopping here, taking back some souvenir to remind you of the great holiday you had, you can look for classic beach handicrafts made corals shells and oysters. It is worth noting that there are not many shopping markets or large emporiums or plush malls for shopping in Lakshadweep. You can find an odd shop once in a while anywhere at the island or else you may also come across few local inhabitants with roadside stalls.
- There are no famous shops for shopping in Lakshadweep as the island has a population of less than even a lakh people. It is not a very glamorous place for shopping but you can locate cute little gifts from shops spread throughout the island.
Visitors do not have a wide range of options to stay. However, there are some popular resorts and hotels in the island of Bangaram. You can find many beautiful cottages made out of natural materials and are eco-friendly.
- You can also stay in hotels that you will find in Kavaratti and other places. Government-run huts and hotels too are a good option if you want to stay here.
Finding accommodation in the islands is not a problem at all. Due to the rise in the tourist footfalls every year, many new hotels and lodges are coming up.
- These hotels are being designed to cater to tourists with varied tastes and budgets.
The locations of most of the hotels in the union territory are very beautiful. The view of the greenery amidst the blue water of the ocean that you get from the hotel window explains the reason for the islands being considered a tourist’s paradise. The hotel rooms are designed with style. The facilities provided vary according to the category of accommodation you are opting for. But the basic services are appreciable enough. There are different categories of accommodation available in the islands. You may choose that suits your taste and budget. There are many deluxe hotels for those who want to spend the holiday luxuriously. But various budget hotels and lodges are also there to cater to the need of those who want a fixed budget.
Thanks for visiting 10 Tips!